Monday, July 12, 2010

A few good things

I know, I know, it's overkill to do two posts in one day, but I just had to.

First and most importantly, my life is now complete: there is a God, and He has sent Bubble Tea into the land of marijuana (Humboldt). My favorite "treat" in college was to walk from campus to the nearby Quickly which served boba, more commonly known as "bubble tea." (Though later they also started serving crepes...I'm not sure of the reason why, as crepes are well, crepes, and boba is rather Asian.)

Then I moved home. Northern Humboldt, to my knowledge, had no place that served boba. Then this wonderful little drive-thru called "Z & J's Asian Subs" opened in a weird little building that's had probably 3 different business come and go through it in the last six months. Not good odds, but Z and J, whomever they may be, have more smarts than the previous owners. They advertise on the radio. Constantly.

To my joy, I was running around doing errands on my lunch break today and was listening to the commercials on the radio with half an ear when a bit about Z & J's came on and the words "now serving bubble tea" were uttered.

I almost caused an accident I was so surprised.

It was as good as I had hoped, though the line was ridiculous. Next time I go, I'm going to try their Chinese chicken salad, but this time, I just got Thai milk tea with boba.

It's better than cupcakes.

And that says something. As I adore cupcakes.

Next topic: As some of you may know (or not), I'm a graphic designer and I get to do a little freelance here and there. My favorite thing to do is create logos. They're so fun, I can be so creative and they're such a challenge to get an individual's personality and ideals just right with one little graphic.

Side note: for those of you not familiar with the wonders of Adobe Creative Suite, do yourself a favor and become so. Now.

Back to the original message at hand: Everyone is different, everyone wants something a little different, and it's practically delicious to meet someone's expectations and get inside their head just enough to make a good product.

The other side of that though, is that you know you are a good designer when you're not 100% happy with something you do, but it still completely and utterly satisfies the customer. Basically, when you're less ecstatic about your product than they are, you have reached the summit of design. However, there's always more to learn, and you should never stop reading, learning, and researching to improve your work.

Remind me, and I'll publish some recent pieces next time I post. In the meantime, satisfy yourself by checking out my portfolio here or go glance through HOW Magazine (only the coolest design magazine ever. They had an entire issue dedicated solely to fonts...sigh...and they do it annually...heart be still).

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment