Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How FRIENDS ruined my life

My sister and I are longtime fans of the ever-popular show Friends. We would watch it on Thursday nights -- which were special nights because Thursdays were always volleyball nights for the parental units, and once we were old enough to stay home without supervision, we took advantage of them being gone and watched several hours of T.V.

Although looking back, I realized that while we thought we were staying up late late late, in all reality we were probably up only until 10 or so. We'd watch from 8 p.m. which is when Friends was on, then we'd watch whatever plug show was right after that at 8:30, then Scrubs at 9 and Will & Grace at 9:30. We'd go to bed when ER came on.

I may be dating myself.

But the highlight was always Friends. Now, I'm the proud owner of all ten seasons and my sister is the unequivocal champion of Friends trivia. Anyways.

Friends ruined my life.

1. It gave me expectations that the friends I met in college and high school would be my friends for ten years or more, in an odd, co-dependent group that would all hang out together all the time. Let's face it, who actually hangs out with their college roommate, their friend from high school and their sibling in such a close-knit group for so long? Not to mention that one or two of those aforementioned people were on and off dating for a while and then still friends.

2. I expected the real world (i.e. life after college) to be full of days when I could meet those odd friends at the coffee shop on the corner at the drop of the hat, never mind my real job or other real life responsibilities.

3. Without Friends, I wouldn't believe that you should be able to get over an ex in the span of a 20 minute episode and be able to be good friends afterwards.

4. Chandler made finding the job of his dreams easy. One episode he quits, the second he finds an internship, and then in the third he lands the job of his dreams! All the while, Monica manages to support them in New York with a chef's job. That should mean that I could quit my 40k a year job, find the job of my dreams and Tyler should be able to support me while I manage that, right? Hmmm...

5. I had expectations that I would be drinking a lot more coffee when I was all grown up.

I'm sure I could think of more, but ten years of Friends definitely led this girl to some unrealistic expectations about life in the real world. Now the next topic I ought to address is how Disney ruined my love life expectations...

Ciao,
kc

1 comment: