Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Ocean

The only thing missing in Bend is my ocean. That place I've gone my whole life when the world is just overwhelming and life is boiling over and stressful... 

I used to drive to the closest beach, regardless of the weather (though fog was my favorite for this type of moment) and just sit in the sand, heedless of getting sand on my clothes or in my pockets, wrap my arms around my knees and just close my eyes and breathe. 

Something about chill, gritty sand under my feet and freezing Pacific Ocean water just calms my soul.

Today, completely by accident, I found my ocean here in landlocked Bend. 

I was going on my planned run (3 miles to the gym, work out there and then run straight back the 2.25 miles that the direct route is) and the weather today is that close, misty rain. 

With my bared legs slippery from sweat and raindrops, water dripping from the brim of my ball cap, and the sky close to the ground and soothing grey, it felt like I was running at home...and I found myself turning down side streets and extending my run just to stay in the weather with my thoughts, and peacefulness and...

Well, clearly I sound a little crazy, but I'm more relaxed today than I have been in weeks. I found my ocean. 

And I ran seven miles.


What did you do today?

Ciao,
kc

1 comment: