Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sisters By Chance, Friends By Choice

Today I want to talk about one of the most important people in my life. No, not Tyler. I mean, he's pretty important too I suppose.

Kidding. He's very important.

But he's not who I want to talk about.

I want to talk about my sister. She is very important. As she would say, she's one of the most fab people like ever and of course I ought to talk about her. Duh. Though I don't think she reads this. But she should. Because I'm pretty fab myself.

Genetics, you know.

Laurel is two years younger than myself and when we were little-little, we were best of friends. We'd get up early and play for hours. Forts, ponies, beanie babies, you name it. We had some rough years from about the time I was 12 until she was 19 or 20 -- you know, hormones and growing pains -- where we couldn't hardly be around each other without fighting. But now we're all growed up.

Or something.

But we like each other now.

She's one of the smartest, funniest, most beautiful women I know. (Other than of course, the woman who made us.) And she totally underestimates herself -- yeah, yeah, she's got some pretty serious bravado, but I know she doesn't think she's nearly as amazing as she actually is.

She is hilarious. She could be the next Ellen.

She has this dry, tongue-in-cheek, highly sarcastic humor that has me rolling on the ground laughing most of the time. She is ridiculous and says these thing...I can't even think of how she comes up with them.

One of my favorites that I tend to repeat (I'm sure everyone has heard it again and again by now) is something she said when my Nana found me some purple cowboy boots. I was thinking "Oh man, these are insane...something I'll only ever wear under jeans" because the tops were so electric purple that it was just ridiculous.  My aunts were going on and on about how cute they would be with a short jean skirt. My sister looked at the boots and blandly said, "Yeah, and she could stand on a street corner with those boots and that skirt and potentially make a lot of money."

My aunts didn't think it was so funny, but I'm pretty sure I nearly wet myself.

Laurel Jane is also one of the smartest cookies I know. I mean, this girl is graduating from Grad School in May. Yeah, I know almost anyone could do it -- Grad school I mean -- but not the way she is. Only really really smart and highly motivated people could accomplish what she's done. Not only did this girl graduate from her undergrad program in 3 years, but she did it with a degree in Biomedical Sciences. And now she's completing her second degree in Genetic Counseling. She starts talking medics and I'm pretty sure I lose her at "DNA" but its fun letting her prattle on because she sounds so impressive. She a pretty impressive woman, that LJ.

The most important thing about Laurel though, is that she's my sister. I'm glad that I ended up with her, though I'm pretty sure that I asked if she could get put back for the first six months of her life and then again for about eight years when we were older. But I'd be a different person if I didn't have her. I'm pretty lucky to have such a wonderful sister to be jealous of...luckily I think the jealousy goes both ways. At least I'd like to think it does, but we both know who the better sister is.

I mean me, obviously.

Kidding. She is.

Or me.

Or her.

You know what? It might be a tie. Yes, a tie. We'll just leave it at that.

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment