Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Shake It Situation

Many years ago my aunt started "collecting" glass paperweights. And by collecting, I mean, one of her friends started giving them to her and started telling people that she collected them, thus creating a rather hilarious snowball effect regarding these stupid glass paperweights.

My mother thought it was really funny.

My aunt thought it was really stupid.

Especially when it seemed to start to evolve into salt and pepper shakers. Which was even funnier.

Until the day that my aunt started my mother's collection...of salt and pepper shakers.

My mom always says she can tell exactly when someone giving her salt and pepper shakers because they all have the "same shit-eating grin on their faces" and make her open it right away.

The nice part about this particular collection is that it provided me with disposable salt and pepper shakers through college, but the bad part is that I seem to be forming such a collection. I swear, if I even mention that I like a particular set or think it's cute in passing, BAM, all of a sudden it's now decorating my windowsill.

I swear to God, none of us actually collect the damn things, so don't you even think about it.

I can tell you are. Wipe that grin off of your face.

The beauty of this collecting business is that they're easily regifted. So don't even start it with me, or you'll find that you have a collection of your own.

Now, my dearest friend Heather recently started her very own collection. Not of salt and pepper shakers, however. Of gnomes. So I really feel like I'm getting off easy here. Just like my aunt's paperweight collection and my mother's salt and pepper shaker collection and my evolving salt and pepper shaker collection, it started with a passing comment.

And then someone posted on Facebook.

And then someone else told everyone that Heather and her husband collected gnomes and wanted them as wedding gifts.

Heather sent a video to my mother, sister and I regarding the situation. Revenge is sweet and comes in the form of a foot and a half tall garden gnome with a bobble head...

It really puts things into perspective, don't you think?

Ciao,
kc

2 comments:

  1. So.... I love that you enjoyed that video that much... because frankly, I can barely contain my excitement for gifting it to them... however, the video is not loading, thus the rest of your readers can't fully appreciate it in its entirety

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, I don't think you have been updated to the gnome situation! Do remind me to send you a photo!

    ReplyDelete