Saturday, January 22, 2011

Breaking Through

So I skipped sewing group in lieu of date night, but I promise as soon as I can, I'll take pictures of some of the crafty stuff I've been working on. I am almost finished with a flower headband thing that's all the rage right now (at least 'round here) for my sister who kept bogarting my Forever21 one over the holidays. She'll be delighted, I just know it.

I'm also working on a super cute bag at my sewing group. It sounds old that I'm in a sewing group...more specifically, a quilt group, but while I'm the youngest there, it's not by much. There are two other women in the group who are late 20s and then the other two women whom I've met are older, but they're very much young at heart. We chat, sew, and make plans for future projects.

My most recent project however, was digital.

Hand drawn version




Finished product

I like sharing all this with y'all. Just so you can see what I do. "My Mane Squeeze" is an equine massage therapist. She is the mother of a dear friend of mine, and an artist in her own right. The fun part about working with artists is that they will inundate you with ideas until you finally have to say, "Enough! Too much!" The good part about that though, is that there are lots of starting points from which one can be inspired. The downside is that it can be a tad overwhelming if you let it.

Because they really want to help.

Really really.

I don't think you understand just how much they want to help. It's adorable. I get it, being an artist myself. It's hard not to want to help when someone else is exercising their craft for you or near you or you hear of them doing it. Don't ask me why. It just is.

In other news, Heather and I have sort of started running again. We ran together on Wednesday with the help of some super duper awesome bluetooth headsets.

The Jawbone headset is pretty spendy, but worth every single penny. It's got noise cancellation going on, so I couldn't hear the cars as she ran in Portland, and she couldn't hear...the snow falling? Well, heavy breathing anyhow I suppose. We did look like those creepy people who wander around talking to themselves. I confused my neighbor thoroughly because she thought I was talking to her — as she couldn't see my phone, which was in my pocket, or the headset, which was under my earwarmer thing.

Oh well. Technology is a beautiful thing.

Even if it makes you look insane.

I had two adventures while running. Both incited the same exclamation, only with completely different meanings. I won't repeat that exclamation here as it really isn't ladylike and I'm not really sure why I used it twice within the same ten minutes. Well, I understand the second, but not so much the first.


This incited the first one. I burst from the trees, where I could see the sunrise peeking through onto this plateau next to the Deschutes River (the sparkly bits on the land part). To the left, which you can't see the sun is glowing off the snow-dusted pine trees and above it's making the clouds even more ominous (they cleared up later to a beautiful bluebird day, but the day, and my run, started off with snow).

More plateau

Sun peeking through the trees as it's rising

 The second moment happened, as I mentioned previously, not ten minutes after I took the pictures on the plateau. I started running again and the road dipped. Not thinking of the rain we'd been getting, or the fact that the plateau had been flooding a bit from the snowmelt and the rain, I trundled along. Only to break through ice two steps later into water ankle deep and freezing.

I hollered, cursed and exclaimed and incited laughter on the other end of the phone line. After I had recovered and quieted enough for Heather to understand me and explained the situation she said,

"We really need to work out a way to let the other person know if we're in trouble or just enjoying scenery. I wasn't sure both times you exclaimed. It sounded rather similar."

*Hand to face*

After that, I turned around and ran home, feet rather wet but quickly warming up with my run.

Stay warm,
kc

WEDNESDAY: 4.3 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment