Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rule Number One

So apparently blogging has been relegated to a weekly thing, rather than daily. So very sad, but also kind of a good sign, since the reason I'm not blogging as much is because I don't have time to blog. Which means work is keeping me busy.

Hurrah.

Apparently, yesterday was meltdown day for me. I have no idea what was going on, but the floodworks were loose and could not be dammed. It didn't help that I wasn't feeling well. A really rude customer first thing didn't help either. And then my second customer had violent ADD or something and alternately yelled at me repeatedly about what we were doing and grabbed his phone away from me to run out the door to make a call. It was disconcerting to say the least. An hour and a half into my day and I was already shaken and weary and dismayingly close to tears

I must have had that sort of look on my face because my manager pulled me aside and said, "You have that look on your face, tell me what's up."

She was concerned due to an incident a couple days ago where I was in tears. I don't want to go into it for privacy reasons, but just know that it was handled and she was making sure that wasn't the problem. I reassured her that it wasn't and that I just had a rough start to what was turning into a long day from the getgo.

Kindly, she said, "This is why you have personal days. It's not fair to you to ask you to push through this, you shouldn't have to. It's your Friday anyways, take the day for yourself. Have a three day weekend and come back rested. You showed up today, and that's huge."

Relieved and watery from her kindness (or perhaps just unwillingness to deal with an employee on the brink of tears), I went home.

I want to throw out a thanks to the wonderful parents who raised me at this point, as part of my manager's reasoning was that I have never been late for work, I showed up even though I wasn't feeling 100%, I never showed my customers anything but politeness even though they were treating me with less and I'm a hard worker. I have to just say that while that all seems like good common sense, most of it can definitely be attributed to the way I was raised.

Go Mom and Dad!

Apparently, being good pays off. It means that when you're having a rough day, people are a lot more understanding and helpful. Isn't that wonderful?

I'm off to clean my oven, which I made a mess of last week when baking a cake. I won't give you the recipe because even though it was delicious, I cannot in good conscious recommend a cake with 6 sticks of butter in the frosting alone. Cooking Light? I think not!

I'll try to blog again with happier news later. I have my sewing group tonight, which I'm looking forward to. I'll try to take some pictures to show you what I'm working on.

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment