Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Getting my butt in gear...

It's that time, folks. That dreaded time of year when you bring your summer shorts, tanks and skirts out of hiding only to discover that either your dryer has wreaked havoc on them and shrunk them all (which is the story we're going with by the way) or the winter months have wreaked havoc on your thighs and butt and the wiggling required to get into them is just not worth it.

I've started riding my bike to work with the onset of summer, and the 9 mile round trip will surely do me some good. Barring the downpour on Sunday evening that left me drenched and foul-mooded, it's a wonderful ride and a great way to wind down after the harassment of the day.

Shake your head because it's time for that obnoxious skinny-girl bitching. My waist is a trim as ever, but gravity, metabolism, and an inability to kick my own ass into gear is making my lower portion expand — not alarmingly, but disconcertingly and frustratingly. Isn't it the way of things too that we don't notice these things until it's time to do something about them? Wouldn't it be nice if they just stayed put and when we managed to finally start returning to the bouts of activity that we love, they're already where they ought to be?

That would be nice. Unfortunately, reality bites.

It wouldn't be so hard if my natural inclination during the dreary months was not sloth. When there's sunshine, I'm fairly easy to motivate into activity, but not so much with its dreary outside -- not to mention, snow is a serious deterrent.

In the spirit of the summer months being upon us (and boyfriend leaving me for six weeks for his job and so I have nothing better to do in the evenings other than run) I've signed up for my 3rd half marathon. I'm still doing the NWM in October, but October is a long time away. My ass does not have that kind of motivation six months out, and we've discovered that I need it!

Haulin' Aspen is the morning of Sunday, August 7th. That gives me about a month and a half to get into shape to get into gear. I am confident that I can do it, and now I have no excuses!

Here's to no excuses and the summer months ahead.

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment