Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Old Words

I have this file of stuff I've written. Some of it is so old I read it and cannot for the life of me remember what the angst I'm writing about was caused by. A boy? A girl? Drama? Dumped? Who knows. Time heals all wounds...if only I knew that back then and believed it.

This one caught my eye and has a happier lilt to it. I thought I'd let y'all have a look-see because I liked it.

Blues and Shoes
Why write a sad song when you could sing a happy one?
I asked myself today.
It’s about blues, shoes, and what you lose
Because you can’t take it with you.
But when your sky is painted grey, with the charcoal of depression
And your fingers can’t but help to tap that melancholy beat
Dream on, look up, and add a little sun to your rain cloud.
It’s about spaghetti and string beans, chai tea and good friends
It’s about staying up late, and singing out loud
It’s taking the beat of your heart and the heat of your brain and sending them to different corners
They don’t get to play today.
Because your mind just won’t play nice and leave your heart alone,
It sits and whistles its lonely lonely tone
When your heart can’t help but sing for love
And the beat rolls on.
Leaving you at home with your blues, shoes, and what you lose
Because you can’t take it with you,
But you might as well enjoy the abstract with all you’ve got
Never minding a little mud or those charcoal skies
Knock your mind some sense and tell it to stop
Because it’s not about grey skies and fat thighs and big sighs
It’s about a hug from your honey, a laughing tear drop
It’s about running because you can, and smiling because you can’t stop.
Why write a sad song, when you could sing a happy one?
Sing along to the words in the beat in your heart and joy
Chase those grey grey clouds away
Because this smile, this laughter, this love…it’s gonna stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment