Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Big Word Wednesday: Lascivious

The wonderful thing about reading is you have a large vocabulary. The downside is half the words you know, you've never heard pronounced and therefore would not know them necessarily if you heard them.

The other hand of today's word is embarrassing, and it means I have to let you in on a little secret: I watch dumb tv like Bachelor Pad and The Bachelor. I find them so entertaining. They're hilarious with all the drama and the "I am so in love with him!" that they figure out isn't really love but just attraction based upon forced togetherness and hormones. A couple weeks ago, I was watching Bachelor Pad and they had a spelling bee. The contestants sucked, I was awesome. Until the host said the word "lascivious."

I was stumped. I thought it was a word I'd never heard of.

I was half right: I'd never heard it.

lascivious. adjective. [luh-siv-ee-uhs]. inclined to lustfulness; wanton; lewd. arousing sexual desire. indicating sexual interest or expressive of lust or lewdness. lustful, lecherous.
  • He was an attractive man in his youth, now he was just a lascivious old man.
  • The lascivious jokes told by the fraternity brothers made her uncomfortable all weekend.
  • She might be lascivious, but I don't consider that a fault if it is only with me!

 Any words in your vocabulary that you might not have heard? Let me know what they are!

Ciao,
kc

2 comments: