Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Big Word Wednesday: Sepulchral

This week's word is really more of a Halloween-y word, but as I saw candy corn in the grocery store today under a Halloween sign (apparently they've already abandoned back to school themes), the ref is going to allow it.

I read this word in my book last week and thought it was a fun one. By its usage, I couldn't figure out what it meant, or rather, what I thought it meant was different than what it actually meant. So here it is!

sepulchral. adjective. [suh-puhl-kruhl]. of, pertaining to, or serving as a tomb. of or pertaining to burial. proper to or suggestive o a tomb; funereal or dismal. hollow and deep: supulchral tones.
  • On right and left every rock seems to have been excavated, every cave improved, for sepulchral use.
  • He is covered by the heavens who has no sepulchral urn.
  • Full of luminous color, they are sepulchral in tone.
 Enjoy!

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment