Saturday, July 2, 2011

So Running

So running...I promised I would tell you about it. I ran this morning and oh man you should have heard the internal line of whining. I did not want to run this morning. I did because I'm supposed to run tonight, but boyfriend is coming home today after being gone for a week and a half and when I'm being perfectly honest with myself (which I always try to be) I know I'm not going to get around to it this evening.

Why would I when I haven't seen him for a week and a half? While it's not that long, I get to see him for less than 24 hours. Only a little more than 12 hours really, and most of that will probably be spent sleeping. (You know, because it's night and all).

Anyways, so running.

I'm probably where I was at this time last year, definitely whining about it (but let's face it, that just doesn't go away and it's intensified when one has to be self motivated...at least for me) and slow. Slow is fine. This is nothing new to me. I have always been slow.

Thanks, Dad, for bestowing upon my genetics the desire to run but I would have appreciated the fast genes as well. (He ran in college for those of you not in the know. And he was pretty good too. I've seen the trophies.)

Running.

It hurts so good. I hope I run for the rest of my life. Running my eight miler the other day had me elated and exhausted. I kept thinking to myself, why did I stop for the last six months? Today, I remembered why I stopped.

1. I'm not a good self-motivator. Never have been in that regard. Have to have something like a race (5 weeks!) to get my butt in gear. Good news is that lack of self-motivation is offset by the fact that I hate to quit.

2. Running is boring by yourself unless you're in a groove. I ran exactly 3 miles this morning. Every single one was like pulling teeth. My body was still waking up, I couldn't find a rhythm, yadda yadda yadda. Grooves are nice, today was not one.

3. Snow is cold. And hard to run in. Even with a race, it's a huge deterrent, as we discovered back in April. Ooops.

4. Everyone needs a break for a while to get back to the place where it's fun again.

But...I run because...

1. It makes me feel good. It's hard to have a really bad day after a run. Even after a bad run, its hard to have a bad day.

2. It makes me sound like a badass and feeds my ego (which really doesn't need any help, but you know...if I have one flaw a little ego ain't bad).

3. It is actually fun if you're in a groove and can go for miles. And miles and miles.

4. It makes my butt look good. (Oh come on, it had to be said)

5. It makes me happier, healthier, more pleasant to be around and more motivated for the rest of my life. And this one is really probably the biggest reason I run.

...Now, if they only made shoes that would last longer. Anyone want to chip in for my next pair? These ones (purchased in January) have just about reached their limit...

Ciao,
kc

TODAY: 3 miles + impending 9 mile ride (split)
FRIDAY: 9 mile ride (split)
WEDNESDAY: 3 miles

1 comment:

  1. 1. I pretty much agree with all those, especially #5...
    and
    2. I am struggling with all those things on the first list too... but it's going to happen....
    go us..
    and we need to figure out my bluetooth with this phone... I will try and give it a go again tomorrow...
    and its been exactly a year this weekend that i ran a full... that makes me feel way out of shape and lazy, and we shouldn't have ever stopped...

    oh well, here we go again : )

    and yes, I did take my mom to mothers...
    post about their visit to come soon.

    ReplyDelete