Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Big Word Wednesday: Avuncular

I'm not recalling where I found the word this week. I know I read it somewhere, and I know I read it while I was at work, because I wrote it down on my notepad two days ago to remind myself of this word. It's certainly not a word one sees often, that's for certain. I think I read it when I was reading a book on my iPad...but who knows.

avuncular: adjective. [uh-vuhng-kyuh-ler] of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an uncle: avuncular affection.
  • He's warm and avuncular, the kind of guy who welcomes dogs and children in the office.
  • His avuncular manner goes down well in a country shaken by three years of non-stop politicking.
  • He is alternately avuncular and strident, cajoling and threatening.
 Enjoy!

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment