Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Big Word Wednesday: Chic

So so so so sorry to everyone who has been sad about me being lax about posting these! We've been very busy of late, and I'll have to fill you in on all of that in another post.

This week's word comes from the hardship of having an extensive vocabulary, but not being 100% confident in the pronunciation. As we all know, some words just don't look anything like they're pronounced. I struggled with facade for years!

I picked chic because whenever I read it, I say "chick" in my head, and then shake my head and try to pronounce it correctly. Often I'll get stuck on it for a little while just trying to imprint it into my brain.

Good thing when I say it out loud I pronounce it correctly.

Besides, it's just a fun word in general.

chic. adjective. [sheek]. attractive and fashionable, stylish.
noun. style and elegance, especially in dress. stylishness, modishness. casual and understated style, as in dress or decor, that expresses a specified trendy lifestyle or activity.
  • Paris clothes have such chic.
  • The chic of the firstnighters.
  • Black-rimmed glasses bring some geek chic to your outfit.
So my friends, go out and pronounce with courage!

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment