Friday, July 20, 2012

The Free Couch

The day Tyler proposed, we were driving home from Smith Rock (where he proposed) and a block from home, we pass this old, disgusting, grody couch on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it.

"Look! It's mission style! Look how pretty that woodwork is!" Tyler exclaims.

"Look! It's disgusting!" I countered.

"Can I pick it up?" Tyler asked.

"Absolutely not, its grody." I said firmly.

We make it home. I go upstairs and putter around. About half an hour later, Tyler clatters up the stairs.

"Honey, I can't stop thinking about that couch." He began.

"Okay..." I say, not really paying attention.

"Can we please go get it? We can re-cover it like we did that bench!"

My protests of how much that bench ran us to re-cover fell on deaf ears. I capitulated. How could I not? He had just put a really sparkly ring on my finger, and I knew it would make him happy. We went and got the couch and brought it home to our garage.

He spent the rest of the afternoon ripping it apart.

I truly wish that I had a "before" picture, because it was truly awful.

This "free" couch has been an on-going joke since it's cost considerably more than free to recover it. And amidst much anger, frustration, and back pain, I made cushion covers for our new cushions for it on Tuesday and Wednesday, finishing up the lengthy process of our "free" couch.

Luckily, our fabric was forgiving and my mistakes (other than the cutting ones...that I had to go buy more fabric for) don't show.

It turned out pretty good though. Tyler did a beautiful job.


I really wish I had a before picture, because no way did I envision that disgusting thing being this nice.

Ciao,
kc

1 comment:

  1. it does have beautiful wood work... and he's cute for thinking about recovering it like the bench... although that bench was sorta expensive wasn't it?!?! I wish I wasn't moving to an unknown location because I'd be wanting to do that sort of thing too... : )

    ReplyDelete