Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Minor Rant

We're moving.

Did you not know that?

Well we are.

At the end of the month.

Which is lovely, and we're very excited, but all the memories of why I loathe moving are coming flooding back as I am calling all of our utilities and service providers this morning to transfer our service at the end of the month.

Ironically, it's not just the packing part that makes me hate moving.

In comparison, packing is easy, breezy, and wonderful.

Most of the representatives I spoke to were lovely, understanding, and helpful.

And then I called my internet provider.

"Did you know, miss, that if you bundle services today you could save money?"

Stupidly, my ears prick.

"All right, tell me about that."

"Well, if we add a home phone service today, your internet bill would only be $19.95 a month, saving you $30 per month."

Idiot that I am, I egged her on.

"Okay, that sounds lovely, how much is that home phone going to run me?"

"Well the home phone service is only $34.95 a month plus taxes, and that includes yadda yadda yadda and blippity blop."

Good thing I'm a quick one with math.

"So, in exchange for 'saving money' I will now be paying more per month by adding a service that I don't need as we're a two-person-three-cell-phone family?"

Luckily, she had the sense not to respond to that.

I know that sometimes you have to "spend money to save money," which is an oxymoron all on its own, but it is supremely ironic to me that cable and internet companies are always trying to "save you money" by adding services that you don't need. Any time I ask about lowering a bill, they always say, "Well, we could...if you bundle some other services into your package."

I get that they are a business, and businesses need to sell in order to stay in business, but I am constantly and completely flabbergasted by the irony of adding home phone and tv that we don't need, use, or want in order to save pennies on the one thing we do need, use, and want.

At least when I'm "saving people money" at work, I'm actually using integrity and actually saving people money.

And I never learn either, I'll always be the idiot who wants to know more about saving money.

At least the girl was nice about it.

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment