Monday, April 2, 2012

Motivation

I have a hard time motivating. I don't know if you know this, but I have a hard time getting my ass in gear. I know, I know, it doesn't seem like it, awesome four-time half-marathoner that I am, but I do. I'm a lazy homebody at heart.

I am still a rockstar, I just can admit that at my very core, I'm not very hardcore.

But do you know what motivates me? Paying that big race entry fee. And then having a date for that race. That's what gets my butt on the road. I would hate to waste that $60 fee. As my dad once asked me, "Why can't you just not run?" he was referring to a race that I got sick for a couple days before. I laughed. "Because I'm paying for the privilege."

He didn't know. Silly Papa.

The other thing that's been motivating me is my New Year's Resolution to Exercise More and Get In Shape. I've been actually really good at this one. Not been so good at the "Shopping Less" one, but I've been doing great at the other one. I did the thing I swore I'd never do and got a scale and have been loving watching the numbers tick down, talk about motivating. I'm almost at my goal, and am happy, healthy and fit!

For the record, you should always find the place where you're happiest with yourself and should not let it consume you. With this experience of dieting I've been careful to listen to my body and if I'm hungry for a little extra, I eat. If we go out, I have a drink, have some artichoke dip. That's important.

It's not about starving or about withholding, it's about awareness of what you're eating. Listening to your stomach when it tells you its full and when you acknowledge you're just eating because it tastes so good you stop eating. After just one last bite. And then stopping. Did you know that your stomach doesn't know you're full until 30 minutes after you start eating? It's about acknowledging that if you have that cupcake, you should probably get your butt to the gym, or forgo your afternoon treat.

It's just about moderation, dedication and finding the motivation that makes you happy and allows you to stay healthy at the same time.

Unfortunately, reaching my goal doesn't mean I get to stop exercising as I did put down that $60 entry fee for my race in June...oh well.

Wishing you all luck in achieving your goals and finding your motivation.

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment