Friday, September 10, 2010

For Later

Later.
when my laters run into tomorrow
and tomorrow into forever,
I think of you.
   (I always think of you)
Now, later, tomorrow, forever
Whenever.
Whenever peanut butter gets smoothed onto one half of a sandwich
When the pieces slide into place and the puzzle is whole
Tomorrow, when there are wings on my feet as they pound the pavement
Like my heart pounds the cage of my bones.
"Shh," you whisper
   (A whisper in the night as lips move on skin)
Quieting.
You think of me.
   (You always think of me)
When paint drips to be caught by a meticulous finger
When feathers of snow drift from the promising sky
   (promising cold to come)
...chased away by the warmth of a heart pounding its cage of bones
In a step, a breath,
in one hundred "laters"
We are together.
Today, yesterday, past, present
   (and ever)
Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment