Thursday, September 16, 2010

Welcome to my life

Nothing gets me going like a brand new design challenge. I don't understand why, but it's probably why I enjoy my "job" so much. It's probably why I'm so willing to jump at any opportunity, paying or not, to design something new.

Lately, it's tattoos.


Friend Karen, my lovely friend's roommate/landlady, is an ultramarathoner (i.e. 50k or 31 miles) and wanted a way to "record" her races as a tattoo. The concept here is the laurel wreath of victory will get colored with each race, and the different colors (her idea) represent different years. Pretty cool, huh?

The thing that kept me nearly sleepless last night, however, was a phone call from my friend Shae Lynn. She and her husband went from super-intellectual (cognitive science and international politics, respectively) to farming.

Not that there's anything wrong with farming.

I like farmers.

I like Shae Lynn.

It's a good combination.

That and she keeps bringing me business that makes me wiggle with glee. I designed the logo for their attempt at dairy farming (which collapsed only because of misinformation on the part of the farm they were to rent):

(c) 2010, K.Calderwood Design


And when they moved on to chicken ranching, she called me up again:

(c) 2010, K.Calderwood Design

For a glimpse into the process of an artist, visit my site here, where Early Bird Ranch and their logo is my featured piece. Mostly because it was such a fun logo to design, but also because it's my latest piece.

It's easy to get inspired by chickens when I can wander out into my parents' backyard and watch the hilarity that ensues from tossing two watermelon rinds into the chicken pen.

Chickens are dumb.

Chickens are hilarious.

Anyways, the latest project is her website. Now, I'm not one to get thrilled by websites, but my experiences with websites (other than my own) are fairly humdrum. Shae Lynn wants something kitcsh but professional, cutesy but staid, something that says, "We ARE as idyllic that farm on our label." Because they are. I've seen pictures.

Now that, my friends, is a design challenge. That is what's making me wiggle with glee.

Too bad I have to work today, or I would be parked in front of my computer with my sketchbook trying to concept.

Life is rough.

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment