Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Go-To Hair

This hairstyle is my "go-to" these days. It's great for days your hair is dirty because it hides the grease, days it's raining or humid because you can put your bangs (if you have them, like me) back, and it's great because the messier it looks, the better!


It also doesn't take a lot of braiding skill and works for medium (shoulder length) to long hair. Though you can do a sort of version of this with short hair.


To Style:
Dry hair works best, as wet tends to tangle, but mostly dry is fine as well depending upon your hair texture. Mine gets worse tangle-wise in that partly-damp stage, so I have to dry my hair first. No parting necessary!

Grab a small section at the crown of your head like you would for the start of a french braid (slightly to one side, as you would for two french braids). Braid a little ways down and then start adding sections of hair, french-braid style. I usually just take hair from the edge of my hairline, so only every other one. Continue braid until you hit the approximate middle-back of your head. Temporarily pin. Repeat braid on the other side. Don't worry about how even the braid is, just keep the braid close to your head as your braiding and it'll stay relatively tight.

Once both braids are finished, unpin the first braid and gather the hair. You can twist it into a messy bun or throw it into a ponytail from there. Pin as needed.

 

I don't know if you can see in this picture, but I added a black headband (carefully tuck it into the braided hair) for a little extra. You can also start with the headband in and braid around it — though I find it's easier to add the headband later. I usually leave my bangs out, but on weekends or especially wet days, I'll braid them back too.

For shorter hair, just do the french braids and stop midway down and pin back with two bobby pins in an ex-shape to hold the hair in place.

Hit with some hairspray for extra hold, and you're done for a day of professionalism or just casual hair fun!

Oh, and did I mention that we got 8 inches of snow last night before I had to drive my hardy little Honda home from work? A woman came into the store and mentioned that at about 5:45. I wasn't supposed to leave until 7, but my boss looked at me and went, "Do you want to go home?"

Hands down, it was the scariest hour of my life. I'm so glad the snow tires go on today! And I just had a peek at the weather, luckily, slim to none chance of snow (20% before 10 a.m.) but the high today...wait for it...14 DEGREES. HOLY MOLY.

Though I would like to say to the wise-cracker who said yesterday, "If you don't like snow, you should live in California," that not all of California is sunny and warm. Some parts of California even get snow.

Hope your day is warmer than mine!

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment