Sunday, November 21, 2010

Just a few of my favorite things

First of all, training has been exhausting. I say has been because though I'm currently home, after this week I travel back to dreary Bellevue for two more weeks of training. I know that Arcata gets more rain than Bellevue, but I'm pretty sure they don't make sun up in that part of Washington. I would hate to live there.

Outfit from the "first day of work." Grey sweater: Elle for Kohl's, $3.99; Black silk Tommy Hilfinger tank: garage sale, $0.50; Belt: came with something else from Kohl's; Pants: Lucky Lulu's in San Luis Obispo, $60; Necklace: Kohl's, $12.99

Training. Hmm. How many words? We're there 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., though the trainer — a nice young man named Tyler — said with some enthusiasm last week, "Hey guys, guess what? There's a day in week two that you'll get out at 4!"

There were a few ragged cheers. And then he finished the statement, "...but you have to get here at 7 a.m."

Bugger.

Training is interesting though. I haven't lost my positive attitude about the job, and even if the job isn't my favorite thing in the world well, let's just say that Verizon Wireless is nationally recognized as the fourth best company to work for. They put an average of $22,000 into each employee before we even hit the sales floor and start making them money. They have the third best training program in the nation.

Ironically, I feel like I'm a PolyRep again, spouting awesome facts like that. I never thought that I should mention my PolyReps position for a sales position other than the fact that they were (duh) kickass and extremely prestigious, but in retrospect, I should have. I sold Cal Poly to incoming students and their parents. It's one thing to sell a cellphone, it's quite another to sell a university to a bored 18-year-old whose feet hurt and has been on fourteen other campus tours. Basically, I'm highly qualified for sales.

PolyReps 2008-2009. I'm in the middle (to the immediate right of the two girls wearing yellow headbands).

Boo-yah.

Oh, and did I mention that apparently it's more difficult to become an employee at Verizon Wireless than it is to get into Harvard? That's a big selling point for them. Harvard's acceptance rate is 3%. VZW's hire rate is 0.5%. Granted, more people apply for jobs at VZW than to Harvard, but still. Talk about impressive metrics.

Okay, enough about my job.

I did a bad thing yesterday. Well, not bad bad, but let's just say that every thrifty bone in my body is in agony, and while I'd do it again, I wouldn't do it frequently as it goes against every single grain of how I was raised.

Let's rewind.

I'm sure you've all come to realize that I'm a bit of a shopaholic. It is my drug of choice, but it's something I can choose not to do. But why should I when I am a smart, sensible shopper who puts time and energy into creating a budget based on my income that gives me wiggle room for shopping? Yes, my friends, I budget for shopping. But that's what makes it okay. It's my hard earned money, and so long as I'm still paying my bills on time and saving money, I can spend it any way I want.


Top: Lauren Conrad for Kohl's, $24 (60% off original ticket); black pencil skirt & belt: Apt 9 for Kohl's, 24.99; shoes: Versace, consignment (so I wouldn't actually wear the shoes to work — standing in those for 8 hours? I think not! — but they're my babies and they're pretty!)


One thing you may or may not have realized (though as you are all wonderfully intelligent, so I'm going to assume you have) is that I am a smart shopper. I can wait ages for that sweater I like to come down to a price that I'm willing to pay. After all, why would I pay $40 when I can wait four weeks and get it on clearance for $8? I do like new, but I don't mind wearing secondhand...though I think my attachment to new is the fact that I grew up wearing mostly handmedowns. Nothing wrong with it, but it's much like my mild attraction to TV — I didn't have it (much) growing up, so now that I can, I do, within reason.

Okay, so on to the bad thing.

Sonoma Life & Style ballet flats: Kohl's, $29.99


I went to Macy's. And I bought something. Granted, I also went to Kohl's, but let's face it, Kohl's is amazing. Everything I bought at Kohl's was marked at 40 or 50% off and then I got my 15% off on top of that for being a Kohl's cardholder. It's hard not to be happy about that. I never feel guilty about shopping at Kohl's.

But Macy's. Ouch ouch ouch ouch.

But, in my defense, I need work clothes. I have business casual attire, but VZW has a pretty strict dress code. Close-toed shoes, slacks, sweater or button-down, no cleavage (like that's a problem for me) and I can wear skirts and dresses but I have to wear tights or nylons and no visible tattoos. And let's face it, a girl like me doesn't want to wear the same thing every week. I like options. I like to mix and match. And since I'm not allowed to wear certain things in my wardrobe, I had to update.

Striped sweater: INC International Concepts for Macy's, you REALLY don't want to know; black dress slacks: INC International Concepts for Macy's, can't tell you (these are a bizarre fabric too, but super super super comfy to wear); shoes: Versace, consignment


Yes, I could have waited, because I have two serviceable pairs of slacks. But I have two weeks of training coming up, and let me tell you about these slacks. The first pair is a pair I shelled out a good deal of money for ($60, I think), because I needed dress pants and didn't have much time to find some. But I bought them ten pounds ago. So I can wiggle into them, and they fit all right (i.e. they don't look like I'm about to explode out of them), but it makes for a long day as they're not especially comfortable. My other pair, I got at a bargain price ($6 at Kohl's!), but they are a size 8. And I kind of float somewhere a little north of a solid 6, but I'm not an 8 — kind of unfortunately, as then they would fit and I wouldn't be having this problem. So they're a little big. But not so big that I can take them in myself — I really ought to take them in to a tailor — so by the end of the day, I've got saggy-butt syndrome going on, and while that means that they are super comfortable, it means that after two hours, they're not super attractive or professional. In a business that's one part first impression, well, let's just say I would be skeptical about someone whose pants don't fit.

Not saying everyone would be skeptical, but I would be. And I'd be distracted by it.

So, with my very lucrative job (I get my first paycheck on Wednesday...they pay us for training and travel time and expenses, so it's a hefty one), I went for it. Please don't judge me, this doesn't happen often, sometimes it's just necessary. I did get some lovely slacks and a sweater. Though be proud of me, I walked away from a gorgeous pair of chocolate brown leather riding boots that actually zipped up my calves over my jeans — which hardly ever happens.

Cranberry sweater: Nordstrom Rack, $14.99; gold sequin tank: Ross Dress for Less, $4.59;
brown dress slacks: Daisy Fuentes for Kohl's, $27.99; shoes: see previous photo


But I did apply for (and plan on immediately cancelling) the Macy's card, so I did get 15% off. And in the spirit of thrift and streamlining, and curbing shopping, I cancelled my Victoria's Secret credit card (and I was even a VIP member...). Mostly because I realized that I hardly ever used it, and didn't really take advantage of it, and when you buy one bra a year it's not really necessary. In addition, I even cleaned out my closet of the stuff that now that I can't wear them, I'll really never wear them. Also, the stuff that missed the first round of culling (from my move) that really needed to go still. I've noticed too, that now that I can dress fancy, I don't dress down very often. I mean, I dress in jeans, but I still dress up.

Grey sweater: Nordstrom Rack, $19.99; black dress slacks: Daisy Fuentes for Kohl's, $27.99; black ballet flats: Target, $12.99


Except when I'm in my sweatpants, and let's face it, that's just unavoidable. At any rate, that means my selection of casual tees has gone down. Not to say that I don't have casual tees, I just mean the ones with graphics on them.

Button detail on collar of grey sweater

Though I'll never get rid of my Ed Hardy. Call me silly, but I really like it! And I only have one. So it's okay.

Black crop sweater: remnant from a sorority recruiting event; ruffle top: Candies for Kohl's, $22.80; grey striped dress slacks: Macy's, $39.98; shoes: Versace, consignment


I'd like to apologize for today's fashions not being my normal thrifty, sale-digging finds. Girl's gotta splurge sometimes. Anyways, tell me about your shopping experience. Are there times when you pay full price even when you don't necessarily have to?

In other news, my lovely friend moved to Portland on Friday. I'm so proud of her! She got a job and made the commitment. I know she'll be much happier as an Oregonian, and we're only 3.5 hours apart now instead of 6.5. Which is super exciting. It means that if we really really need to see each other, we could do a day trip. And that makes me so happy, you have no idea.

Also, it's been snowing again. Yay! The mountain is projected to open Wednesday, but boyfriend isn't optimistic, as it needs to get dumped on in order for that to happen. Though it's predicted to get 10 inches of snow by then, so perhaps.

I ran again yesterday. I forgot my running shoes for training, which had me smacking myself for as the very nice hotel we were staying at offered free access to a nearby Bally's Fitness Center for its visitors. Oh well, next time. My Garmin's back from the Garmin doctor, and now actually works properly. It even told me the battery was low! It didn't used to do that! They actually ended up just sending me a brand new one, but they were so efficient about it, that even though my first Forerunner 205 was a poop, I'd still recommend getting one.

Just a heads up too, my posting will probably continue to be spotty as I start work in the store on Monday and my out-laws (boyfriend's parents, grandma, and sister) are coming to stay with us for Thanksgiving. So we'll have a full house on top of me being busy with work. But I'll make an attempt!

I'll leave you with one of my family's favorite Thanksgiving recipes, just in case, in celebration of one of my favorite holidays. They are delicious and always get gobbled up — but if we can managed to squirrel some away we do, as they're amazing the day after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey and some cranberry sauce! Also, in the summertime, you can use this recipe to make homemade burger buns or just as a bread to bring to a barbecue. The recipe even says it can be used for pizza dough. If you try the pizza dough, let me know how it goes! They go great with any holiday meal as well, not just Thanksgiving.

Refrigerator Rolls (recipe from San Fransisco - A La Carte)

Makes approx. 5 dozen rolls

Ingredients
2 packages (2 tbsp) active dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
3/4 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
7 to 8 cups unbleached white flour, unsifted

Dissolve yeast in the warm water for 5 min. Set aside. Combine butter with the boiling water and stir until butter is melted. Cool and place in very large bowl. Add cold water, sugar, salt, eggs and yeast. Mix well. Add enough flour (between 7 and 8 cups) to make a soft dough that when beaten does not stick to the sides of the bowl. Cover and refrigerate immediately for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. Dough can be kept in refrigerator for 7 to 10 days. When ready to use, remove any amount needed, place on a floured board, roll out about 1 inch thick, and cut or shape into any size desired. Place rolls on an ungreased cookie sheet and let rise for 1 to 2 hrs. Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, depending upon the size of the rolls.

Enjoy!

Ciao,
kc

TODAY: 4.45 miles
YESTERDAY: 3.1 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment