Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Absenteeism

So sorry, so busy! And I only have time for a quick quick quick check in.

Last week, my back felt mostly healed and only twinged when I busted out an antsy 5 miler on the treadmill last Tuesday. I went carefully, easing into speed, starting at 12 minute miles and moving up, backing off when my back when "whoa!" I was only going to do 3, but I hit three and my legs said, "Don't stop! You haven't exercised in a week and a half! We need to move!" So I did five. Just to make my legs happy.

Because they are in charge.

I know you don't believe me, but it's true.

Yes, I let my body rule my life.

Particularly my appendages.

Anyways.

Last week, Tyler's best friend Jacob and his girlfriend came to stay with us for a couple days to ski and see Bend. Since my back felt okay running, I went boarding with them for a couple hours on Wednesday. Just for the record, as I hit the top of the first run I thought to myself, "This is either going to be just fine, or I'm going to hurt myself again and I'll have no pity from anyone because this time I have no one to blame but myself."

My back made it.

Granted, I only skiied two hours, mostly because Jacob's girlfriend was an uber-beginner and it took her two hours to get down the big bunny run and she was wiped after that. As I had gotten a bunch of runs in while she did her one, I offered to leave with her so she wouldn't have to sit and wait.

I thought it was a good idea, seeing as how I'd had such good luck with my back thus far, I didn't want to push it.

I lifted weights for the first time since my injury on Sunday, going easy -- using the 12 lb. bar instead of the 20 lb. bar for my squats and lunges, taking a page from Nutrition Nut on the Run and doing one of her HIIT to FIT uber leg workouts:

20 squats
30 lunges
45 second wall sit
x 3.

I interspersed the reps with some arms and water. It doesn't sound too hard, but the three or four times I've done that workout, I've left the gym going, "hmm...my legs are already sore," and then oohing and ahing for the next three days.

Back did okay, but it twinged. I took some advil and was fine. Haven't had any since Sunday, and I rocked another 5 miles today.

My running buddy is down and out with a knee injury, and her physical therapist hasn't given her a date for when she can hit the road again. I told her when her knee started to bug her to rest and ice it, as I know, from experience it's better to rest and get better than make it worse and drive the recovery time up up up. Did she listen? Of course not. Why would you?

Until you experience the aggravation of self-inflicted stupidity with injuries, you don't take anyone's word for it.

I know this.

I've done this.

See? Experience.

Now, I know better.

Sort of.

Now I have to run (not literally) because I have to get ready to go to Portland for a Stampin' Up craft party! So fun! And I get to see Heather! Hooray!

Ciao,
kc

1 comment: