Thursday, March 1, 2012

Perks to being good at your job

There are lots of perks associated with being good at your job. At my job some of the perks are:

1. Little old ladies hug me, much to my dismay. I don't particularly care for hugs from strangers, but I put up with them from little old ladies who are stoked on their new iPhones and that I was such a darling and showed them how to use it.

2. My boss gives me raises and says that I rock.

3. My co-workers like me most of the time.

4. I can get away with having bad days. You know, days when I just can't bring myself to care about how many phones I sell. Or accessories.

5. Number five here is my favorite. When I am good at my job and I connect with my customers, occasionally I wind up having lengthy conversations about things I like. Like Cypress Grove goat cheese. Cypress Grove is a goat cheese maker in my hometown. It's delicious. They do all kinds of fun goat cheeses with herbs and such. It's nigh impossible to find goat cheese that's as good here in Bend.

The gentleman in question is a food processing engineer and is designing their new processing systems. We got to talking about how delicious their cheese is and he told me that they gift him with pounds of the stuff every time he goes over there and often even send him boxes of it. My eyes must have gotten really big with envy because he offered to bring me some. At this point, I had been troubleshooting his phone for an hour and was on the verge of making it work. I demurred politely, but he insisted, repeating again that he's got more than he could possibly go through considering how generous they are.



Now it sounds creepy, but once I got his phone up and running he was practically beside himself with joy that it was working again. And if it hadn't been sealed and packaged by Cypress Grove I would have been weirded out a little bit, but he brought me three rounds of Cypress Grove's "Purple Haze" goat cheese and some apple-smoked gouda, which I've never had but sounds interesting.

And it all boils down to being good at my job.

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment