Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Big Word Wednesday: Emphatic

Now, it always amazes me when I use a word that seems common or a little obvious and I'm greeted with blank stares. So this week's Big Word Wednesday is a tribute to one of those words.

I don't have a fun dialogue this week, but I did use this word the other day and my friend that I was with looked at me blankly. There was an awkward pause and then I just strove on with the conversation.

emphatic: [em-fat-ik] adjective. uttered, or to be uttered, with emphasis; strongly expressive. using emphasis in speech or action. forceful; insistent. very impressive or significant. clearly or boldly outlined.
  •  I must be emphatic about this particular.
  • The emphatic beauty of the sunset.
  • It stands, like a great, stone dagger, emphatic against the sky.


Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment