Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Big Word Wednesday: Behemoth

There is a thing Tyler and I do that's super cute. We used to do it more often, when we were long distance and he didn't hear me use big words in context so often that he could pick them up, but we still do it now.

I'm his living dictionary.

If he hears a word he doesn't know or doesn't understand, he'll text me and say, "What does ____ mean?" And then I'll struggle to define the word that I've used correctly in the past but never had to define before. It's fun. It strengthens my knowledge of words and builds his.

As such, I'm tickled pink when he uses a big word. The big word of this week is behemoth. Tyler used behemoth the other day in reference to a lab that was one of the avalanche dogs in Steven's Pass, WA. He didn't use the word correctly, but I let him have it. I love that he tried.

behemoth: [bih-hee-muhth] noun. an animal, perhaps the hippopotamus, mentioned in Job 40:15-24. any creature or thing of monstrous size or power.

  • Every now and then, there is a mournful cry and a behemoth appears through the trees, rushing by indifferent to man and beast.
  • It has also become the biggest company in the world by revenues, a behemoth that strikes fear in the hearts of rivals everywhere.
  • But because they don't come in big-screen versions their energy use may compare well against newer behemoth sets.
  • Every behemoth on the cover of the muscle mags is juicing.
  • The carnivore snuffled the air as it approached the fallen behemoth.
 Keep using big words!

Ciao,
kc

No comments:

Post a Comment