Thursday, October 14, 2010

Black bean, sweet potato goodness

We've had quite the adventure so far, living in our little cabin in the woods. Yesterday, we got a barbecue for $20. My caveman was quite thrilled to be able to grill meat and play with fire. He's off on a bike ride right now, getting his wiggles out and leaving me in peace to do some work and talk to you!

I have some job interviews next week, one at a coffee shop and one at a graphic design studio. I'm kind of hoping for both to work out. We'll see. Professional face on and chin up and away we go.

Other than that, not much to talk about, I just wanted to leave y'all with this awesome recipe. My sister loves it and apparently makes it quite often. It's one I found when I was first learning to cook and have handed around, but often forget about myself. I made it the other night and boyfriend was impressed — though disappointed at the lack of meat.

"I'm a man. Men need meat."

"Yes, dear."

The following night, we added some ground beef to the leftovers and it was still quite tasty. I prefer the vegetarian version, but know that a pound of lean ground beef can be cooked up and thrown in with quite tasty results.

Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I usually use yams...the orange ones that everyone seems to think are sweet potatoes but actually aren't)
1 tablespoon chili powder*
1 jar (16 oz) mild salsa (about 1 3/4 cups)*
2 cans (15 to 19 oz each) black beans

In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes, chili powder, salsa, and 1 cup water; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Add beans with their liquid and cook 3 minutes to blend flavors. Serve with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.

*To kick it up a notch, use medium salsa and add a bit more garlic and chili powder.


Just a note, this recipe makes a lot of food, so don’t double unless you’re serving more than say…five people. It goes great with corn bread.

And I don't mean the fake kind.

Buy a box of cornmeal, which is like, $2, and read the recipe on the back of the box for cornbread. It's actually easier than cornbread out of a box. And tastier. For a little extra moisture in the bread, add a generous handful of corn (thawed if frozen).

Running is going well, it's almost time to taper! Our race in less than two weeks!

Ciao,
kc

YESTERDAY: 4 miles
TUESDAY: 60 minute Fartlek, 6.4 miles total

1 comment:

  1. less then two weeks... holy moly, I don't think its set in my mind yet, let alone the fact I am already registered... hmmmm should I be worried about this?

    ReplyDelete