Thursday, October 28, 2010

Just My Luck

I am a big believer in letting things happen. Well, I am a big believer in actively letting things happen, worrying myself to the quick at the same time.

What's done is done, you cannot change it worth a damn, and a lot can happen in a short amount of time.

Now, today, the theme is a lot can happen in a short amount of time. Sort of "letting things happen" and "everything happens for a reason" and "if it's meant to be, it's meant to be" all at the same time, but mostly just about the former.

This week has been both the longest and the quickest I remember in a while. The longest because I spent all of Tuesday thinking it was Wednesday, but that's another story. After a miserable Tuesday evening (we went into town and checked on my job prospects Tuesday afternoon: absolutely nil), I rose on Wednesday determined to go out and just do my own thing for the afternoon.

I dolled up, because that makes me happy (leggings, black garage sale boots, leopard print tunic, and my grey blazer with some bling, for those who are wondering), and trundled into town. I had no plan in mind, just that I wanted a pick-me-up.

I went to my haven.

Kohl's. Shopping in general, Kohl's in particular. It is my element. I don't know why, but I love Kohl's more than I've loved any other store ever.

I'm a big believer in retail therapy, but I'm also a believer that part of retail therapy is allowing yourself the freedom to buy if you find something you'd like, but if nothing is all that special, you can leave without buying anything and leave just as satisfied. Which is a good frame of mind to have when one is as money-tight as I am right now.

Also, if you do say, "Okay, I'm allowed to buy something," be reasonable. It's about being frugal and about letting yourself do the thing that makes you happy at the same time. For instance, I spent $10 and am perfectly happy.

Anyways, that's not the point.

So I was in Kohl's, and I noticed their "We're hiring for the holiday season!" sign. With an inward sigh, I acknowledged that, hey, it's a job. I inquired and was directed to their online application. Promising myself to look into it, and patting myself on the back for my good sense at multi-tasking, I trundled over to Macy's.

Seeing a similar sign in the doorway, I borrowed a pen from one of the cashiers and wrote down both URLs so as not to forget them. After smelling, touching, and sighing over the fabulous shoe section, I strolled through the store and acknowledged that while lovely and enticing, Macy's is altogether out of my price range on a normal day when I'm not worried about money. With Macy's it's about the feel, rather than the purchase.

I consulted my watch and noticed that it was about time to look into another job prospect I had promised myself I'd look into while I was in town.

On my way to my car, I noticed a store. I won't name it just yet, as I may jinx it, but what happened next still has me reeling.

Smart girl that I am (modest, too!), I had a stack of resumes in my backseat. I snagged one on a whim and a sigh of, "Well, I'm here, I may as well," and walked across the parking lot to the store. Walking in, a sweet-faced middle-aged woman greeted me and asked if she could help me with anything.

"Actually, yes," I said in my best 'I'm a professional' voice. "I'm looking for a job and was wondering if you were accepting resumes?"

She smiled encouragingly.

"We actually are at the moment. Just a minute, let me take this back and see if my manager is available to speak with you."

He was.

He asked if I had time for an interview right then.

I said yes.

He explained to me after the interview that there was a process I had to go through with corporate, but he would do his best to expedite the process as they needed someone soon. That was yesterday afternoon. After getting home and submitting my application to corporate, I went to sleep happy that I might — just might! — have found a job.

This morning, corporate called for my first (of two) interviews with them. It went well, and we scheduled my second interview for tomorrow afternoon. If they still like me after that (and how could they not?) I have to undergo a thorough background check and pass a drug test (easy peasy) and then I'll be hired!

So fingers crossed for me, hopefully you'll be reading a money-making girl's blog here soon!

Also, side note, I went on my first run today since this weekend. 38 degrees made me wish I had a proper pair of running tights, but I cranked out a brisk and easy (though cold and wet!) 3.25 miles in 30 minutes. I found a new loop to run while I'm at it — which is good because the ol' Forerunner is having problems (been having problems) and I'm sending it back to Garmin to be fixed tomorrow, so I'll be Garmin-less for a week and then some.

Wish me luck on the job, I hope your respective winters are as lovely (though not as chilly!) as mine is right now!

Ciao,
kc

TODAY: 3.25 miles

1 comment:

  1. I have a hand me down gift from karen that might keep you from having drumsticks after running : ) see you this weekend??

    ReplyDelete