Monday, October 18, 2010

Time to taper

Really? Really? I'm tapering already?

Crap.

I have not, in the two months that I've been training for this thing, felt this unenthusiastic about running. In the morning it's cold and I am not yet equipped to handle running in the cold (with my birthday coming up, I'm hoping that will change...haha), and in the afternoons I just. don't. want. to.

The absence of my lovely friend has taken its toll, people. I am supremely unmotivated. Awesome.

Not.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Also, boyfriend and I have discovered this nifty little bar and grill down the road from us. Aptly named "Boondocks" as we are, in fact, in the boonies, it boasts a surly barman and a chirpy, fifty-something waitress/barwoman with short, bleach blonde hair styled with gel, giant diamond earrings and a craggy smile. And more importantly, the Giants game on a flatscreen TV. And decently priced drinks and appetizers.

Boyfriend spent the whole game there on Saturday (I joined him at the top of the 7th), and we both went for innings 2 through 7 yesterday. Quite fun.

In other news:


 Sorry for the image quality, cell phone again. It's just so handy!

Corn Cheese Casserole
3 eggs
3 Tbsp Flour
1/2 cup cream (or milk)
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
 dash pepper
1 tsp dill
2 Tbsp parsley (I don't usually use...)
2 cups corn
2 Tbsp butter
2 c diced onion
1 large carrot grated
1 small red pepper
1 c grated cheddar
1 block tofu (optional)
Salsa for garnish

Combine eggs and flour in blender. Add cream, milk, honey, salt, pepper, dill, parsley, and half the corn. Blend. Preheat oven to 350. Saute onions in butter until transluscent. Add carrot and peppers, saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining corn, blended ingredients, and cheese.
Pour in to buttered 9 x 13 inch pan  and bake uncovered about 35 minutes until golden and knife through center comes out clean. Serve with salsa.
 
Boyfriend was dubious about this dish, but I find it yummy in the extreme. He liked it once he tried it, but he was pretty incredulous when I added the tofu. For the record, I blend half the block of (firm) tofu in the blender and then add the rest of it chopped to the saute pan.
I also added a little broccoli that we'd cooked the night before. It was pretty tasty. Bon appetit!

Ciao,
kc

P.S. My race is on SUNDAY! That's six days away!

YESTERDAY: 6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment