Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Our New Home

Oh my goodness, I'm here. I'm here and I'm mostly unpacked. And I have internet. And the house is finally quiet. The new house isn't quite big enough for four people to navigate around each other (and a myriad of boxes in varied states of unpacked) without tension running a little high. Especially considering the emotional state rendered by the stress of moving.

I had my first meltdown yesterday. Hopefully the first and last, as boyfriend and co. drove home today. Boyfriend is off to pick up his truck and his parents (co.) are headed back home and then off to the east coast.

The meltdown was incited by a phone call with our internet provider. A very nice, young-sounding man named Rob had informed me that our internet had not, in fact, been activated on Friday as it was supposed to be and no one was exactly sure why. I need internet by this afternoon for my telecommuting and was in a mild panic because of it.

I'm talking full-on squalling meltdown.

Luckily, his parents were out and about and only boyfriend was there to witness the mess. We've been together long enough that he's a veteran and a pro at handling such situations. He's good at soothing noises.

Surprisingly, the meltdown was not incited on Sunday when we got lost. Or when the truck ran out of gas on the side of the road after not seeing hide nor hair of a gas station for 200 miles. Or when it took us 9 hours instead of 6.5 to get here. Or when we realized that there was only one air mattress and his parents were using it and our mattresses were buried in the very back of the truck and we had to heave-to to unload the entire truck before darkness fell (it gets pretty black out here) in order to have something other than beautiful (hard) wood floors to sleep on.

The meltdown was also not incited on Monday when I woke up to a house full of boxes and no coffee. Or when we ran around and around and around town (20 minute drive away) picking up things, trying to find things, inevitably getting lost and most assuredly bickering.

Just the last straw. Oh well.

Did I mention the truck ran out of gas on the side of the road? Couldn't be helped. We didn't know that we wouldn't be seeing a gas station for that long, or we would have gotten gas in Grants Pass. Thankfully, we were caravan-ing and my boyfriend had the forethought to put a gas canister in the back of the truck, so I was able to take the canister to the nearest gas station (seven miles away) and return with enough gas to get us to the gas station to fill up.

In other news, ready for a tour of my new house? I thought so. Please excuse the mess.

This is my living room and my "office" alcove.

My office. I have a beautiful view of spruce trees and a bird feeder that already has little birdies visiting!

Our "reading corner" and breakfast bar.

Dining room and backdoor.

Kitchen

Fireplace is in the center of the main living area. The kitchen is to the left and the hallway at the right goes to the bedrooms and bathroom. Straight across from it is my office.

Another kitchen view. Carpet was $7 at a garage sale.

View out my front door. The building on the right is our detached garage.

More front yard.

The wall on the right is the outside corner of my office. The tree is right out my main office window.

Path to the garage and the garage.

Front of the house.


Another living area photo.

View of living room from "dining room"


Also, I've done my first cooking in the house. We had a family friend over for dinner last night and I whipped up a quick batch of pesto.


Fresh pesto!

Pesto is easy to make and delicious on anything.

To Make Pesto:
Using a blender or a food processor (I prefer the processor), put in a generous handful of fresh basil leaves, a tablespoon of pine nuts or walnuts (I use pine nuts), a couple cloves of garlic, salt and pepper to taste and olive oil. Run the blender or processor until pesto is fully processed.

It made the store-bought ravioli (nothing wrong with that) a little more interesting than simple marinara would have. Be careful though, if you use too much garlic it has a pretty good kick. I added too much garlic. It is however, really yummy that way.

Keeps the bugs away too.

In addition, if you have any extra, you can freeze it for later use. I usually use an ice tray and freeze it in cubes for easy use. One "cube" is perfect if you're cooking only a little bit for one, two to four "cubes" if you're serving more people.

I had my first Oregon run yesterday. I called my lovely friend before I left (it's our plan to run "together") and then again when I got back. Boyfriend accompanied me with his bike and a beer (classy at it's finest...sigh) and I ran up the road towards the mountain. We're on the road that goes up to Mt. Bachelor...it's actually a quicker drive to get to the mountain for us than it is for us to get to Bend itself.

I'm used to running at sea level, so I was slower than usual thanks to less oxygen, but I still managed to do the whole Fartlek workout. Go me!

All righty, that's enough for now. Further updates on my life coming soon, as well as those promised pumpkin recipes!

Ciao,
kc

YESTERDAY: 60 minute Fartlek
SATURDAY (10/2): 8.25 miles on trails

No comments:

Post a Comment