Thursday, October 7, 2010

I played you love songs, you'd say we're playing house, now you still say we are

First of all, there's something really great about naturally waking up around 6:30 a.m. It means that it's quarter to eight and I've already had my coffee, done some work, unpacked a bag, and watched Glee. And of course, decided to blog.

I wanted to write last night after my four mile run, but I got caught up in unpacking just one more bag, and then another, and then another — you understand.

It's my intention to go take better pictures (i.e. not with a cellphone) today, but here's a teaser.


This is a two minute walk from my house. It's the headwaters for Spring Creek or something, and it flows into the Deschutes. All you can see is this tiny trickle that comes from underground to fill this whole pond that then gushes into the creek (where I'm standing) with a torrent of water that is unbelievably beautiful and seemingly impossible.

Half a mile from my new house, literally down the road (the road turns into the trail), is the Deschutes National Forest that runs along the river. I ran my run yesterday down that trail and I could see the water through the trees.

Gorgeous.

You'd think with me being from the redwoods and all that I would be unimpressed by stumpy evergreens and high desert scenery, but I'm not. It's a different kind of beauty, and in some ways, it's all the more beautiful to me because I didn't grow up surrounded by it.

I will admit that to some extent, I take the redwoods for granted. I can't help it. They've surrounded me my whole life, and they're just trees. Really really really really big trees, but just trees. Here, it's different.

Less damp, certainly.

I don't know. The redwoods are beautiful, but somehow, the area here is more beautiful. Maybe because this place is a place I've chosen to be. I choose to be here. I'm not forced here by a job, or by birth, or anything. I'm here simply because I want to be.

Well, that and boyfriend's here. But it was my idea.

We just let him think it was his idea.

Ciao,
kc

P.S. Apparently, I suck at making fires in our wood stove. At 38 degrees this morning, I decided it was necessary. Less than an hour later the damned thing is out without ever really getting hot. Good thing I'm dating a boyscout...and we have electric heat.

YESTERDAY: 4 miles, 37 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment